Monday, March 8, 2010

Measure for Measure


This is something I think everyone should know or at least have close at hand; it will come in very handy, and more often that you may realize. Its the Measuring conversion table....no no no, I am not talking about converting Metric to Standard, or vice versa (though if you demand it I will add it on here). I am talking 'how many teaspoons in 3 cups' type of thing.

So, here ya go ! Learn it or print it out and put it somewhere in your kitchen !




1/8 cup = 2 tablespoons
1/6 cup = 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons
1/4 cup = 4 tablespoons
1/3 cup = 5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon
3/8 cup = 6 tablespoons
1/2 cup = 8 tablespoons
2/3 cup = 10 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons
3/4 cup = 12 tablespoons
1 cup = 48 teaspoons
1 cup= 16 tablespoons
8 fluid ounces (fl oz) = 1 cup
1 pint (pt) = 2 cups
1 quart (qt) = 2 pints
4 cups = 1 quart
1 gallon (gal) = 4 quarts






Keep in mind that when a recipe calls for 1 cup flour, sifted; it is not the same as 1 cup sifted flour. In the former, you would measure out 1 cup of flour, THEN sift it. In the latter, you would sift some flour and THEN measure it out (making sure not to compact it). When baking (which I admit, I don't do often) I prefer to use a scale and weigh out the dry ingredients. You will get a more precise measurement...400grams is 400grams is 400grams...whether it is flour, water, basil leaves or cement... plus, my idea of 1 cup of basil leaves may not be the same as your idea of 1 cup of basil leaves... see what I mean?



So I hope this helps!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment