Sunday, February 28, 2010

Ciao, Italia !!! part 2


Ok, so...I was planning on writing about how to make homemade Ricotta cheese...but...I got in the mood today to cook something and for some reason I got in the mood to try out a new recipe. So, I thou about, and ended up making Rigatoni with a Vodka Cream Sauce. I was shocked at how inexpensive and easy this was to make ! Keep in mind, I had the vodka and fresh Parmesan cheese at home, but other than that this recipe cost right at $10 and will feed 4-5 people VERY generously ! This is not a come home from work and throw some dinner together kind of meal, unless you get off work at 1:00pm and want dinner on the table at 6:00pm; I did however make this from start to finish in a little over 2hours.

Its not often that I shock myself completely when I make something, but this one dish just kinda blew me away... It blew me away because of the simplicity, ease, and how delicious it was!!

Let me just say, before I share the recipe with you, some (namely my Dad) would find it reprehensible to serve a meal sans meat; so one might consider adding a side of Italian Sausage to the dish to make it more carnivore-friendly.

ok, ok, ok, ok....enough with my ramblings...on with the recipe.

Rigatoni with Vodka Sauce

1 large Vidalia onion, diced

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1 1/2 teaspoon crush red pepper

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 cup GOOD vodka

1 28oz can Whole Peeled Tomatoes, drained

1 14.5oz can Whole Peeled Tomatoes, drained

1 cup heavy cream

1 lb rigatoni, cooked

grated FRESH Parmesan cheese - optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat olive oil. Add garlic, chopped onion, red pepper and oregano. Cook for 7 minutes over medium heat until very fragrant. Next add the vodka (if using a gas stove, remove pan from flame, careful not to ignite alcohol). Cook 3 minutes. Drain tomatoes, add drained tomatoes to saute pan, crushing them by hand as you add them.

Saute for 3 minutes. Cover with tight fitting lid or foil. Add pan to oven and cook at 375 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

Remove from oven and let cool slightly. While cooling, cook pasta according to box directions to Al dente.

In a blender or food processor, add tomato mixture and blend until smooth. add back to cooking vessel. Add cream and cook for 10 minutes.

Drain pasta and combine with tomato sauce, toss and serve. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.

ENJOY !

Please try this out and let me know what you think !

Apologies for the quality of the photo, it was taken on my phone, next time I PROMISE to have my camera nearby !

Buono Appetito !

No comments:

Post a Comment